Under the Clock can be found in the basement of the former South Brisbane Municipal Chambers, adjacent to the Graham Street forecourt and within the grounds of Somerville House.
Under the Clock seamlessly integrates modern dining into a beautiful, heritage listed building. The café exudes nineteenth century character and charm.
Extensive care has been taken to create an ambience sympathetic to the building’s historic origins.
Under The Clock utilises fresh local produce to deliver a range of snacks and light meals, and serves Campos Specialty Coffee.
The former South Brisbane Municipal Chambers has been described as one of the most ornate and elegant buildings
Listed as number five on the South Brisbane Heritage Trail,
this building is rich in history.
For years the building was widely known as the South Brisbane Town Hall and over time it has passed through many hands.
During World War II, the Municipal Chambers was occupied by
the American Armed Services and was later converted to flats
to house council engineers recruited from England. In 1957,
the building was refurbished and housed the Queensland Conservatorium of Music until 1979, when occupancy changed to the South Brisbane College of Technical and Further Education.
In 1984, the historical significance and value of the building was recognised and it was listed by the National Trust of Australia.
In 1989, it was also listed by the Australian Heritage Commission, ensuring the future of the building as a historical landmark.
The South Brisbane Municipal Chambers has been owned by Somerville House since 1999, and has been named The Chambers to reflect the origins of the building.
Under The Clock will continue to honour the heritage of The Chambers and make its mark as the first food establishment to operate within the building.